When it comes to sleep, you need Amerisleep, because where else do you get five different luxury options? With all of their memory foam mattresses, Amerisleep uses the latest technology and materials to create an ideal feel and support. The Amerisleep AS1 is the most firm and least expensive option. It gives you the extra support you need for a good night’s sleep. If this sounds like your firm dreams come true, continue reading for an in-depth review of the AS1.
This 10-inch foam mattress consists of 3 layers including a Celliant-blend cover, a top layer of cooling foam, and a bottom layer of supportive foam. Both foam layers are made using a process designed to protect the environment by substituting plant-based materials for some of the petroleum traditionally used to make foam.
Here are some key characteristics that make the Amerisleep AS1 model stand out:
- Temperature control: This mattress is designed for maximum airflow and cooling despite its all-foam construction. The top layer of foam features an open-cell structure to help transfer heat away from the body, and the Celliant-blend cover provides cooling features as well. The company describes Celliant as a material made of “thermoreactive yarn” which “turns body heat into infrared.”
- Firmness and support: The AS1 is the firmest mattress in the Amerisleep line. Its supportive design should provide more lumbar support than your average memory foam mattress and promote spinal alignment. The comfort level of the AS1 is ideal for back and stomach sleepers who are most susceptible to misalignment when sleeping on traditional memory foam.
- Reputation: 97% of reviewers on the Amerisleep website would recommend this mattress to a friend, and the company has an A+ rating with the BBB. The AS1 mattress earns 4.7 stars out of 5 from reviewers, also on the company website, where reviews are guaranteed to be unaltered.
Look at the Amerisleep AS1 mattress
Amerisleep’s firmest mattress, the AS1, is available in 7 sizes from Twin to Split King. This is an eco-friendly foam mattress made up of 2 core layers and a removable Celliant-blend fabric cover. It can be used with any bed base, though a box spring will require the addition of a piece of moisture-resistant plywood, and the mattress may also be placed directly on the floor if necessary. The AS1 mattress is manufactured in the US in Indiana.
Here’s the composition of the two main layers, which together with the cover measure 10 inches total:
- Base layer: The foundation of the mattress is an 8” support core of high-density poly foam. This layer provides the compression support and shape of the mattress and results in its overall firmness. Amerisleep refers to their high-density foam as Bio-Core foam.
- Top layer: The 2” top comfort layer consists of Bio-Pur memory foam for pressure relief and temperature control. The company describes this as an open-celled, breathable memory foam, and it does seem to be a more responsive foam than most.
- Sleep Trial: There is a 100 night trial period for this mattress.
- Warranty: Amerisleep offers a 20 year warranty.
- Shipping: The mattress ships free to the contiguous United States and will arrive compressed in a box.
Size and Pricing Information
|Twin||38″ x 74″ x 10″||45 lbs||$849|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||49 lbs||$899|
|Full||54” x 74” x 10”||63 lbs||$1,049|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10″||75 lbs||$1,199|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||95 lbs||$1,399|
|California King||72” x 84” x 10”||94 lbs||$1,399|
|Split King||38″ x 80″ x 10″ (x2)||49 lbs (x2)||$1,599|
Is the Amerisleep AS1 right for you?
Now that we’ve taken a deep dive into the Amerisleep AS1, it’s time to discuss who I think would be a good fit with this mattress.
- Firm Feel – There is a soft memory foam layer on top that provides a bit of pressure relief but, as all four of the testers noted, the overall feel of the AS1 is very firm. The high density poly foam base layer provides much of the feel for this mattress, leading to a very supportive and firm structure.
- Sleeps Cool – Amerisleep uses a special memory foam that helps to draw heat away from the body to help people sleep a bit cooler. The cover is also made with Celliant, which will also help with temperature regulation and cooling.
- Strict Back and Stomach Sleepers – The mattress is extremely firm which will help keep your hips from sinking too far into the mattress. By keeping your hips up, the AS1 will align your spine in a better position while you sleep, helping to avoid aches and pains in the lower back when you wake up.
The AS1 is one of five mattresses in the memory foam mattress series by Amerisleep. This model is the firmest of the five, making it the most popular for back and stomach sleepers who need extra support from their bed.
- Motion isolation
- Overall support
- Edge support
- Customer service
- Temperature control
- Lack of pressure relief